Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Oh boy, Tolstoy!

When I graduated from college four years ago, what followed (there was a recession, you'll remember) was four months of having no money but all the time in the world. I took the opportunity to read just about the entire cannon of Russian novels, so I consider that summer time well spent. Poverty has its good and bad points. What happened was that in Sept. 2001 I got a very nice job and terrorists smashed airplanes into the New York skyline.

So, it has been four years now and to celebrate being out of college longer than I was in it (and also my recent completion of graduate school), I am dusting off that old War and Peace paperback and rereading it. Now, I know what you are asking yourselves: what does this have to do with me? The answer is, I am pleased to announce:

The Great Matt's Blog War and Peace Give Away

I will send you your very own copy of War and Peace if you can figure out a riddle. The riddle is, 'Send your mailing address to Matt.' So what is my email address? If you already know it, then this a really easy riddle. Otherwise, here is a hint:

Matthew Dot L Dot Reed At GMail Dot Com

There are a few rules and caveats...
1) I am allowed to discontinue the contest at anytime and for any reason.
2) If for some reason I decide not to send you a book, even though you figured out the riddle and everything, well too bad.
3) I will send the book via US Mail, but that doesn't imply an endorsement of the US government.
4) I will very likely send a used book and probably a paperback.
5) If I've already given you a copy of War and Peace (you know who you are), I'll only send you another one if you can convince me that the one I already gave you has been lost or stolen.
6) You have to at least try to read it.
7) It is okay if you skip the sections where he goes into rather dry philosophy of history.
8) All books are given 'AS IS.' Okay, I don't know what that means either, but if for some reason your book arrives broken or contains anthrax or something, you can't sue me.

Cheers.

11 Comments:

At 12:07 AM, Blogger johanna said...

Touche, Goulet!

I found this entry very funny, but I'm confused. What's the riddle?

(remember - I'm dull-witted)

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger mattreed said...

Oh well you have to figure out a way to give me a mailing address.

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Ryan Estes said...

oh boy! free books! i'm in.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger d press productions said...

if i were to, say, put my mailing address right here, would that not be an alternate answer to the riddle? seems like it might. *cough* 1466 kelton ave, pgh, pa 15216 *cough*

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger johanna said...

So there's this old Spanish guy who could tell you that it's 239 Amber St., #4 pgh 15206...

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger mattreed said...

Some people have privacy concerns. Identity theft is the big thing these days.

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger johanna said...

Mm.

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger d press productions said...

if someone wants my identity, they can have it. i'm not doing much with it these days anyway

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger billiam said...

nobody wants my identity- there is still a 5k reward out for me.

oh... and surely fire macintyre

and is that really a riddle?

i thought riddles went,

"alive without breath,
as cold as death;
never thirsty, ever drinking,
all in mail never clinking."

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger mattreed said...

Um, how is this:

"Zero dollars is cheaper than retail
for a book, if you send your address by email
(Fourteen Hundred Fifty Five Pages
Subsidized by my wages)
And save your money for whiskey and pale ale"

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger billiam said...

well... if that is the best you got.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home